No one enjoys the unpleasant smell of accumulated sweat on their yoga mat. After all of the moving, flowing and sweating there is a point when your cork mat needs to be cleaned.
Because of the unique natural antibacterial and antimicrobial qualities of cork, keeping your mat clean and smelling fresh is much easier than a regular yoga mat.
How To Clean Your Cork Yoga Mat?
- To clean the cork surface of your yoga mat take a damp cloth and wipe away any dirt or oil build up. Do not use a rough surface like a scrubbing sponge as this can damage the surface.
- For a deeper clean, add a bit of gentle soap, vinegar or essential oil and then wipe with a dry cloth or let it air dry before rolling it back up. This will keep your mat looking fresh and removes the build up of your body's oils.
- Don't worry about your mat being damp or moist, cork does not absorb water or sweat and dries up very quick!
How Often Should You Clean Your Cork Yoga Mat?
- For light use and general cleaning, we recommend you clean your mat at least once a week.
- For heavy use, we recommend you clean your mat after each practice, especially in hot yoga or when sweating a lot.
- As a yogi traveler, you may want to clean your mat once or twice a week due to oil build up and dirt.